The Greater Dallas Youth Orchestras fundamentally believes that members of our organization are uniquely qualified to both represent Dallas, TX and the United States as ambassadors of culture and peace throughout the world. We strive to broaden the minds of students by introducing them to foreign lands and culture by touring internationally every three years.
Students who otherwise could not afford travel may apply for scholarship assistance. Please visit the Support GDYO portion of this website to inquire about how you can help make touring possible for deserving youth.
CHINA – June 17-29, 2015
Concerts in Shanghai, Hangzhou, Xi'an, Beijing, and Tianjin.
- Beethoven, Leonore Overture, No. 3
- Ravel, Tzigane with soloist Maria Schleuning
- Copland, Appalachian Spring
- Dvorak, New World Symphony
"This was GDYO’s most successful tour from start to the fifth encore on the final concert! Overall, the venues and acoustics were excellent, and the audiences were respectful. The itinerary designed by Classical Movements provided great momentum and allowed for every concert to be better than the one before. Tours like this are an incredible experience for our young musicians—perfecting high-caliber repertoire, traveling to a foreign country, and creating close bonds with fellow musicians are things that cannot be experienced anywhere else." Richard Giangiulio, Music Director and Conductor of the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra
Germany & the Czech Republic – June 15-28, 2012
Concerts in Dresden, Munich, Prague, Bad Mergentheim, Litomysl, and Weimar
- Dvorak, Carnival Overture, Op. 92
- Copland, The Promise of Living from The Tender Land Suite
- Xi Wang, Fall at the Barnard Cottage (2011-2012)
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Capriccio Espagnol, Op. 34
- Mussorgsky/Ravel, Pictures at an Exhibition
In June of 2012, 79 advanced musicians, accompanied by 14 chaperones, 4 staff, and one tourist, served as ambassadors for Dallas and the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra during a tour of Germany and the Czech Republic. The orchestra performed six concerts in wonderful venues to very appreciative crowds. Concerts took place in Dresden, Munich, Prague, Bad Mergentheim, Litomysl, and Weimar. Experiences like this are life-changing, and GDYO is so honored to have been a part of this event with you all.
China – Wind Symphony – June 17-29, 2008
Concerts in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Xian
- Bernstein Overture to Candide
- Gershwin Second Prelude
- Ives Variations on America
- Williams Four Symphonic Themes
- Ticheli Blue Shages
- Maslanka Short Symphony "Give us this Day"
China – June 11-25, 2007
Concerts in Shanghai, Nanjing, Hangzhou, Xian, Beijing and Hong Kong (joint concert with the Hong Kong Youth Symphony Orchestra)
- Copland, El Salon Mexico
- Gershwin, Rhapsody in Blue (Featuring Alessio Bax, piano)
- Tchaikovsky, Symphony No. 5
Click here to view pictures of the GDYO China Tour.
Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic – June 6-19, 2004
Concerts in Leipzig, Bad Schmiedeberg, Opole, Krakow, Kromeriz, and Prague
- Bernstein, Overture to Candide
- Smetana, Three Dances from The Bartered Bride
- Borodin, Polovitsian Dances from Prince Igor
- Barber, Concerto for Violin and Orchestra Maria Schleuning, Violinist
- Dvorak, Symphony No. 7
Germany and the Czech Republic – June 25-July 9, 2001
Concerts in Illmenau, Thalburgel, Freyburg, Grimma, Brno, Prague and Frantiskovy Lazne
- Bernstein, Overture to Candide
- Stolzel, Trumpet Concerto, Richard Giangiulio, trumpet
- Barber, Adagio for strings
- Stravinsky, Suite from The Firebird 1919 version
- Poulenc, Gloria, with choirs from the Czech Republic
- Dvorak, Symphony No. 9 "From the New World"
England and Scotland – June 8-24, 1998
Concerts in Poole, Bristol, Leamington Spa, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Stirling, Scarborough, and Croydon
- Britten, Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra
- Copland, El Salon Mexico
- Mussorgsky, Pictures at an Exhibition
- Tchaikovsky, Variations on a Rococo Them, Ko Iwasaki, cellist
France – May 28 – June 14, 1996
Concerts in Paris (The Madeleine), St. Andre d'Apchon, Clermont-Ferrand, Tulle, Boulogne, Altkirch, St. Claude, Toulon, Nice
- Brahms, Academic Festival Overture
- Hummel, Trumpet Concerto, Guy Touvron, soloist
- Arutunian, Trumpet Concerto
- Copland, "Hoe-Down" from Rodeo
- Handel, Entrance of the Queen of Sheba
- Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique
France and Switzerland – June 5-19, 1994
Concerts in Le Cheylard, Montelimar, St. Claude, Annonay, Lugano, Paris
- Gershwin, An American in Paris
- Haydn, Trumpet Concerto, Guy Truvron, soloist
- Brahms, Nanie
- Rimsky-Korsakov, Capricio espagnol
- Bizet, Carmen Arias
- Dvorak, Symphony No. 8
National Flute Association (august 2013)
The GDYO Flute Choir was invited to perform at thhe National Flute Association convention in New Orleans, LA.
texas bandmasters association convention (July 2013)
The GDYO Wind Symphony was asked to perform at the Texas Bandmasters Association in July of 2013
National Flute Association (August 2010)
The GDYO Flute Choir was invited to perform at the 2010 convention in Anaheim, CA.
Exchange with the Austin Youth Orchestra Symphony (February 2008 in Austin, TX)
The Philharmonic was invited by the Austin Youth Orchestra to perform a joint concert in Austin. The exchange was completed by the Austin group coming to Dallas in February of 2009.
Exchange with Atlanta Youth Wind Symphony (March 11-12, 2006 in Atlanta, GA)
The Wind Symphony was invited to perform a joint concert with the Atlanta Youth Wind Symphony in the Schwartz Center for the Arts on the campus of Emory University. While in Atlanta, members of the GDYO enjoyed true southern hospitality while staying in the homes of AYWS members. The AYWS will complete the exchange by visiting Dallas in March 2007.
Texas Bandmasters Association Convention (July 2002)
The Wind Symphony was invited to perform at the Texas Bandmasters Association Convention in July 2002.
National Youth Orchestra Festival (June 21-28, 2000 in Sarasota, FL)
Selected by a rigorous application and audition process, the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra performed in the second National Youth Orchestra Festival. Under Maestro Giangiulio, the GDYO performed Schubert's Overture to Rosamunde and Aaron Copland's Suite from the Red Pony.
The nationally syndicated radio show From the Top recorded a show at the National Youth Orchestra Festival . The GDYO opened the show with a performance of Leonard Bernstein's Overture to Candide.