Because of the nature of how the Jazz combos are put together, each individual is crucial to the success of the combo as a whole.
Attendance needs to be the top priority of the members.
Jazz Institute members are allowed one (2) excused absences per concert cycle.
- Excused absences include:
- Family emergency
- Religious Holiday
- School Performance
- College Auditions/Visits (seniors only)
- No unexcused absences are allowed.
Reporting an Absence:
- A planned absence must be reported one week prior to a rehearsal by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) (Absence because of illness or emergency must be reported by the day of rehearsal)
- Students who do not notify the office will be given an unexcused absence.
Consequences are at the discretion of the staff or instructor. Absences will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- 1 unexcused absences – cannot play the concert
- 2 unexcused absences – dismissal from the program
Late Arrival/Leaving before rehearsal ends:
Being “on time” to a rehearsal means being at least 10 minutes early with all the necessary equipment. Students may not be late without 1 week notice to the office.
1st time: warning
3rd time: meeting with Program director and combo instructor
4th time: cannot play the concert
5th time: dismissal from program.
Leaving rehearsal early without 1 week notice is unacceptable unless the student is ill and has spoken with a GDYO staff member.
1st time: Suspended from concert
2nd time: Dismissed from program.