Every year, musicians from the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra program compete in competitions throughout the North Texas area. We are proud of your accomplishments outside of our program, and we look forward to sharing your good news. Let’s continue by highlighting the Collin County Young Artist Competition, the Vernell Gregg Young Artist Competition, and the Music Teachers National Association “Division” Competition, and Jazz Band of America, and National YoungArts Foundation.
Collin County Young Artist Competition (sponsored by the Plano Symphony) – Jan. 9
- 1st: Kaeon Cho, violin (GDYO)
- 2nd: Jacqueline Liu, viola (Sinfonietta)
- Honorable Mention: April Chung, violin (GDYO) and Vivian Zhang, violin (PHIL)
- 1st: Alexander Davis-Pegis, cello (GDYO)
- Alexander Davis-Pegis also received one of 3 Grand Prize Winners and he will perform with the Plano Symphony on March 19.
- 3rd: Kevin Bai, violin (GDYO)
- Honorable Mention: Samuel Choi, violin (GDYO), Samantha Choo, violin (GDYO), and Kevin Kim, cello (PHIL)
Vernell Gregg Young Artist Competition (sponsored by Lake Lewisville Symphony) – Jan 23
- Senior Division: 2nd place, Richard Huang, oboe (PHIL)
- Junior Division: 2nd place, Claire Druffner, cello (GDYO)
MTNA (Music Teachers National Association) “Division” Competition – Jan 10
- Division’s 1st place winners – advanced to National Competition in April.
- Junior Winds: Hannah Kim, flute (PHIL)
- Senior Strings: Yong Ha Jung, viola (GDYO)
- Senior Winds: Annabelle Kim, flute (GDYO)
Jazz Band of America – 2016
- Austin Zhang, alto saxophone – Lead Alto (Jazz Institute)
- Zach Gross, baritone saxophone (Jazz Institute)
National YoungArts Foundation
- Merit Winner: Austin Zhang, alto saxophone (Jazz Institute)