Dear GDYO Students and Parents,
As the COVID cases have skyrocketed around the North Texas area the Greater Dallas Youth Orchestra has once again made the decision to go virtual with our rehearsals.
We will once again resume live rehearsals for those that wish to do so when the counties that our students most come from have achieved only a 5% infected rate. per 7 day average
For your own reference that would be under
All students wishing to participate at the live rehearsals must return a signed waiver to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each rehearsal will be limited to either 20 string players or 10 winds.
- Winds and Strings will be in separate venues; they will not be mixed together. (No classical percussion will be able to meet at the moment)
- Rehearsal will last a max of 1 hour without break. No food or beverages are allowed.
- Only students and staff are allowed in the rehearsal room. (Staff will be limited to 1 Conductor and 1 Orchestra manager)
- Rehearsal rooms will have 1-2 HEPA Filters running on low during rehearsal. Between rehearsals, the room will be unoccupied and purifiers will run for 30 minutes so the air can be fully exchanged.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at all rehearsals.
String rehearsals will take place on the campus of the Addison Theater Center
15650 Addison Rd, Addison
Jazz and Flute Choir rehearsals will be at Willow Bend Church.
5701 W Park Blvd, Plano
Rehearsals will be scheduled between 1:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- Will submit a health self-assessment online every Sunday before attending rehearsal. This will include a current temperature. This self-assessment will also be used for attendance and contact tracing if needed.
- Will inform GDYO if the student or any member of the student’s household has been exposed to COVID, so we may notify the other ensemble members. GDYO will maintain students’ health confidentially in accordance with HIPAA.
- Must be masked (either cloth or surgical) at all times upon entering the venue. Students must provide their own mask.
- Must maintain at least 6 feet of social distancing at all times.
- Must provide their own music stand, music, rosin, pencils, etc.
- Understand that they will not be allowed to share equipment. This includes, but is not limited to music stands, sheet music, pencils, instruments, bows, mutes, towels, etc.
- Must have bell covers attached to instruments wherever possible. If your instrument has a bell, it needs a cover. Students must provide their own bell covers. (Instrument bags are encouraged but not required.)
- Must be masked while not playing. Split facemasks are preferred.
- Must provide either a towel or puppy pad or cup to empty water onto. This must then leave with the student to be disposed of/cleaned.
Where do these waivers go? email@example.com
Who decides who participates? The conductors of the ensembles in conjunction with the Music Director of the GDYO will be creating the rehearsal schedule.
Will everyone who wants to participate in person be able to do so? Eventually, yes. We will start with 4 groups on November 22. On Dec 6, we will expand to 6 groups, and then keep going. This allows us to see what adjustments are needed.
Will we be rehearsing every week? yes. The plan is for once you start rehearsing that you continue to do so every week. We will continue adding times and venues as needed.
Will rehearsals still be on Sunday? At the moment, yes. We are also looking at the possibility of Saturday’s as well if the demand is there.
I said on the survey that I didn’t want to participate; can I change my mind? Yes. Just fill out and return the waiver.
I said I did want to participate; can I change my mind? Yes. Just please send us an email letting me know you wish to remain virtual.
I said I wasn’t sure if I wanted to participate. Either send us an email saying you do not wish to participate or send me a copy of the waiver.
What if I don’t respond at all? We will assume you are staying virtual, but we would really like confirmation from you.
Can I change my mind later? Yes, absolutely.
I am 18; can I sign my own waiver? Yes, you must sign your own waiver.
I am under 18; can I sign my own waiver? No. Your parents must sign on your behalf.
I am turning 18 in January/February/whenever; can I sign my own waiver? No. Your parents must sign it now, and you must sign a new copy after you turn 18.
Please let us know if you have questions.
The GDYO Faculty and Staff